Sunday, August 10, 2008

I have tons of things to say on this blog...

...but after cooking and eating dinner, I need a nap and then I forget. So today, I'm going to do something different. I'm going to tell you what I'm gonna do.

Then I'm gonna do it.

I plan on getting back to this post and tell you how it went - and I might actually remember to do that if I leave the window open. :P

Ok, here's the deal. I went nuts buying chicken legs in bulk, planning on smoking them along with a 40 lb turkey. I was planning on jointing everything and essentially turning all the dark turkey into jerkey.

Well, flu happened and suddenly there was no time. I was missing a grille from my smoker, so there was no room for the chicken - which is very annoying, as that made the cheap smoked turkey not so cheap. Aside from that, some animal had peed on my backup bag of charcoal.

HowEVER, rather than go through that all again, I hauled out the crock-pot, jammed the dozen quarters in it and with all the imagination I had left between wheezes, poured tomato sauce over them. I jammed in some fresh Swiss Chard for flavor and let the whole thing burble away for 18 to 20 hours.

How does it taste? No idea. I'm just glad it's done. :P The "how does it taste part comes next."

What I'm planning to do is to take two quarters and shred them, chop the meat finely along with most of the swiss chard and whatever flavors I need to add. I will then pour this over whole-wheat pasta (of which I will make absurd quantities) and serve.

Details, as they say, to follow.

Update: I returned to the kitchen, only to remember the stark threats made against my person if I were to mess it up after She had cleaned it. Given the day I've had, I found that sauce making, as unambitious as that is, was still too much even had I the energy to clean up after myself.

Instead, I poured rice in the rice-cooker. I will serve a joint of chicken some swiss chard and rice to each us all, with enough pot liquor to moisten the rice; salt, pepper and hot sauce will be available to the ambitious.

And then, afterwards, I must somehow summon the energy to survey the leftovers and "suck it up."

But I will. And I will love me for it later.

0 comments: